November is Picture Book Month! This international literacy initiative, founded by author and storyteller Dianne de Las Casas, celebrates the print picture book during the month of November. Check out the Picture Book Month website, which features daily posts from “picture book champions” and has lots of great classroom and storytime resources!
To celebrate, here are some of our favorite picture book posts from here, there, and everywhere:
- Kathy and her 9-year-old son will be tweeting their daily picture book reading all month long. Learn how they make picture books a part of their morning routine and follow their Picture Book Month journey at her website.
- Storytime Stuff readers respond: What makes a good storytime book?
- Why Picture Books Matter by Sandra Tyler
- Jim Trelease on Reading Wordless Picture Books
- Why Older Readers Should Read Picture Books by Trevor Cairney
And some of our favorite picture book recommendations:
- Miss Moore Thought Otherwise by Jan Pinborough
- How to Babysit a Grandpa by Jean Reagan
- Take Me Out to the Yakyu by Aaron Meshon
- Don’t Play With Your Food by Bob Shea and other books about tricky rabbits
- Story Time with Signs and Rhymes (series) by Dawn Babb Prochovnic